Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Welcome to Houston

I went out to my truck to leave this morning and noticed that someone had done me the service of removing my tailgate.    UGGG.

I drove around the neighborhood to see if it had been pilfered by some kids but found nothing.    The insurance deductive is $500 but a new tailgate from a body shop costs $1000.   From a dealer it costs $1500.

So I started to search CL.    I found 3 and emailed all three offering them all $200 (or between $50/$100 off what they were asking).    I found one 9 miles away that had bedliner on the inside but otherwise was white, the right model type and fit.    I asked the guy at "MR BUMPER" where he got his.   He said he bought it from an body shop that deals in insurance claims and parts, but that it was probably stolen.   He said he paid $100 for it.

He also showed me the way to put a 1.5" hose clamp around the hinge to slow down a would be thief and even installed it for me. 

So, advise to all.   Buy a hose clamp for your tailgate.   It's a good $2.00 investment.




No comments: