Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 7 - Tile Problems

Well, most jobs have a hick-up and after waiting 4 days for my tile to cure, I've found mine.   One of my jumbo tiles, the corner piece did not adhear.   It was making a billowy squishy sound and although I waited for twice as long as suggested, the tile was still moving.   So carefully I took a screwdriver and lifted the tile up and was fortunate not to have broken it.  

All the acrylic mortar was still soft.  In fact, it was still very gummy.   The upside is that it was easy clean up.   I have now cleaned the slab and tile and am trying again. 

I only have two guesses as to what went wrong.    First, the mortar that I used under the first tile was old and maybe mortar goes bad.   Since this was the first tile I set, it is possible that the mortar on the top of the bucket may have been too stiff

Secondly, I suppose it is possible that the floor underneath this tile wasn't scarified and that there was a chemical issue.   There was not moisture underneath the tile that wasn't congealed into the mortar and the slab was dry.

In any event,  the new tile is down and I hope for better luck on this piece. 

















Now on to building the cabinet.

No comments: